Sunday, July 5, 2009

Weaning

Well, the day I always knew would come has arrived. This is a day that at times I greatly anticipated and other moments I dreaded. It is official, Miss Adaela Elizabeth has been weaned.

Now, Adaela and I made it nursing 14 months. When I was prego I was a bit freaked out by the whole idea of nursing. My brother and I were not nursed, neither was Andy. It seemed a bit weird and frankly, looked painful.

I knew how great it was for the baby, and for Moms too, so, I decided I would do my best to make 4 months (a nurse told me that was the most important span of time to nurse).

To my surprise, I loved nursing. Adaela was a natural and I adored that time with her. And to future Moms out there, no it doesn't hurt if you are doing it correctly, and it wasn't weird at all. It was something that was just ours. No one else in the world could share that with her.

I found my attachement to nursing strengthened when I returned to work. Adaela was 3 months old and still so tiny. Someone else was taking care of her during the day. But, we still had our time together. Adaela loves her Daddy, they do many fun things together, but, nursing was our thing.

Don't get me wrong. There were nights and mornings when I thought "it will be great when I am no longer nursing and someone else can get up early, or put her to bed." But, mostly, I loved it and so did she.

We made it to the one year mark and I am not sure I have ever felt more proud. I worked over 40 hours a week and nursed my baby to a full year. It is one of the first important gifts I have given her.

I have spent the past two months wondering how we would wean. Would she just get tired of nursing and be done? Would she be mad at me when we stop?

This past Wed. I had a meeting in the evening and Andy gave her a bottle an put her to bed with out me. She did great. I knew this was the opportunity to wean her and be done.

So, I did it. Adaela has been a champ. Mom has been a bit of a mess.

The first night I hid in the guest room while Andy put her down ( I didn't want her to see me, freak out, and beg for milk). She went right down. Later that night I cried in my closet ( a favorite place for weeping :)). I was sad a that time in her life was over. She was not a little baby anymore. I was sad that the one thing I could give her that no one else in the world could offer was ending. Now Andy could do it all.

But, slowly my sanity returned, and I realized I will always be her Momma, even if I was no longer the "milk machine."

So, here is to a new phase in life and being able to drink as many Diet Dr. Peppers as I want to!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, sweet Leslie...my heart goes out to you! You brought a tear to my eyes, as I can totally relate. Amazing what being a mom can do to a gal! Miss you lots!
Mandi

~m said...

Oh, les - you are so right. you ARE HER MOMMA. and always will be.and, quite frankly - you one helluva a momma.

good job, my friend. i hope i can handle it with the grace you did.